Image Map

Bodysuit Love and a quick Route 66 Trip!

Happy Monday Ladies! How was your weekend? I just returned from a quick little birthday trip down a small portion of Route 66 between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. It is something I've been wanting to do for years! It was everything I hoped it would be and more and I'll share more about that shortly, but first I wanted to address my new found love of bodysuits. I think I mentioned them in one other post recently, but I have not stopped wearing them since! They are so comfortable paired with some high waisted jeans and look effortless chic paired with a simple cardi. I may have gone on a bodysuit spree recently and now have a collection of every style from mock neck to long sleeve to henley styles, they are all great!


This brown bodysuit I wore on my birthday was a recent under $10 score and I can't recommend it enough! The torso length is perfect so this is such a comfortable find that I see myself wearing time and time again this season. Also, notice how I'm not wearing grey again. While brown may not really be a daring color choice I'm making baby steps to incorporating color back into my wardrobe.

You guys know I LOVE history. The more boring and detailed a story about our past or historical buildings is, the better. I especially love American history and the gold rush period. This little trip got to combine both of those loves. 

So while on our little Historic Route 66 adventure we stopped at the ghost town of Calico. Located near Barstow, CA this is most famous for its association to Walter Knott, founder of Knotts Berry Farm. The town of Calico still exists today partly because of his efforts to preserve it and his donation of the property to San Bernardino County, but its history stems way back to 1881 when it was booming because of a very successful silver mine. Only a few of the original buildings still exist, but a lot of pretty accurate replicas have been built to create this fun little tourist spot in the middle of the desert. 


There are a couple of small museums you can walk through and see what early life was like in the town and walk through an original home. Shops to peruse that aren't your average souvenir shops are also plentiful in Calico. 


There are a few places to eat in Calico including this building that is the Calico House Restaurant. It has the most heavenly front porch full of a bunch of rocking chairs to just lounge on and enjoy a nice cold sarsaparilla. I could have sat there and taken the whole vibe in for hours.


There are two mine tours available in Calico. The one most tourists visit is the one at the Maggie mine that is a short 10 minute walk through that gives you a quick glimpse of what being in a mine was like for the miners. The Silver King Mine Tour is a more advanced 4 hour tour that requires a little bit of a hike to get to and a lot more walking to complete. We only had a few hours so we didn't get to check this one out, but are really hoping to get to it soon. There is also a ghost tour available on Saturday nights that piques my interest and we might also have to check out. 










Our most random find on Route 66 was a McDonalds inside of train cars. It's actually even better than you expect. You walk into the McDonalds train station, which is actually just the Barstow Station and there is the option to purchase from several different restaurants and then eat inside of the train cars. There is even a small arcade and some shops inside. And if you're a pressed penny collector you can stop here for some cool Route 66 ones!






My family was having a birthday party for me the next day and I had to get back so it wasn't the longest Route 66 trip, but it was definitely full of so many good discoveries. I cannot wait until we can head back and explore some more!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...